Thursday, November 10, 2011

Star Trek Online Free-To-Play Launch Date

In the latest "Path to F2P Dev Blog", Executive Producer Stephen D'Angelo confirms the launch date for Star Trek Online Free-To-Play:  January 17, 2012.  As some have pointed out, a little rearrangement of the date makes it 17/01.  I needn't point out the significance to long time Trek fans.

He also reveals that the relaunch will be made available on the Holodeck server a month early for subscribers, and that C-Point stipends will also be starting a month early.

But, based on what I'm reading in the forums and past experience with Cryptic, I have to reiterate a prediction I made that it's too soon.  Even if they waited until 17/01 to put anything online, there are still too many bugs, too many incomplete systems that exist in a half-baked state.  They haven't even had time to make the Space Skills changes and give them time to settle on Tribble yet, as far as I know.

In short, the F2P launch seems likely to cause even more chaos than the Hobus Supernova.  Yet another hit to Cryptic's reputation. 

I can see where they need to buy themselves some time.  They're losing more and more subscribers as time goes on with no new content.  For them, it's better to launch an incomplete game (again) than to keep working on it.  For players, not so much.

I am going to keep my money in my bank account and wait.  I'll try to be there at launch, assuming there are no major game-breaking bugs that haven't been dealt with, but I'll be taking a try before I buy approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Source News

Star Trek Latest News

Star Trek Online -